There is a lot of holiday excitement coming up! Unfortunately, it can be easy to feel overwhelmed if you are not careful. Whether it’s a large family party or an intimate dinner, here are some helpful tips for having the holidays with seniors that you can use to ensure everyone has an excellent time:
- Seating – make sure there is ample seating for everyone, especially the elders.
- Conversation – help facilitate conversation by asking questions. Here are a few examples: What was the highlight of your week? What’s the most interesting thing you’ve read lately? How’s that drink/appetizer/artwork/game?
- Help – ask others for help. Delegate tasks – you don’t have to do everything yourself.
- Plan – think about the specific needs of your guests and plan ahead.
- Timing – have a start and end time for the gathering. Timelines are not just helpful for seniors; everyone will appreciate knowing the timeline.