We asked our Retire@Home team for ideas on how busy, everyday working people can show love to the seniors in their lives today and year-round. Our Retire@Home team provides home services to help support a safe, happy and healthy lifestyle to seniors wanting to live in the comfort of their homes.
Check out their ideas:
- Have a phone call – Pick up the phone and give them a call. This activity can be as short or as long as you like. For example, you can squeeze a phone call in during your daily commute. Just a quick “hello, I’m thinking about you” can bring joy to both of you.
- Eat together – Eat a meal together; everyone likes being cooked for, whether it is a quick sandwich or an elaborate homecooked meal. Eating dinner together is a great way to show love, even if you are at a loss for words.
- Drink a coffee – Sit down and catch up over a coffee or tea. Find out how their day is, or catch them up on what has been going on in your life.
- Go for a walk – Stretch those legs and go for a walk. Depending on the weather and fitness level, try walking around the house, neighbourhood block, mall or a conservation area. Walks can be 5 minutes or hours!
- Play cards – Pick up a deck of cards and play Rummy, Cribbage, or War! There are countless card games that are fun and provide health benefits. Playing cards helps promote good mental stimuli and brain health. In addition, cards can stimulate the immune system and trigger the use of visualization, memory and sequencing skills.
- Watch TV – Tired after a long day of work but still want to connect? Try watching TV together. Catch up on the news, a hockey game, a loved TV show or a movie; spend time together relaxing in each other’s presence.
- Go for a drive – Going for a drive is an easy way to boost seniors’ well-being and mood. A change of scenery allows the mind time to wander and be creative.
- Do errands – Everyone has a to-do list, even seniors. So offer to take them out to run a few errands. Errands may include checking the mail, grocery shopping, picking up or dropping something off. Doing these together helps make your visit productive and interesting.
- Write a letter – Write a short letter or card and drop it in the mail. Getting mail is an easy and quick way to cheer up anyone’s day.
- Have a chat – Sit and chat. Take the time to just be with each other. Talk about your life, ask them stories about their life, or chat about current or past events.