Location: Peel & Dufferin, ON
Experience: 2 years
Our client, a top School Board in Peel and Dufferin, is seeking an analytical, organized, and multitasking Library Floater to be part of their team on a contract basis. Long term potential!
Under the direction of the Supervisor/Designate, this position is responsible for providing administrative, technical, reference and clerical services to support the library function in an assigned number of elementary schools. Maintaining confidentiality is a requirement for this position. This description is a summary of the typical functions of the job and is not to be considered an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties.
|KEY RESPONSIBILITIES||% of Time|
|Provide library administrative services at assigned schools||45%|
|· Develop and update schools’ library procedures as per Board standards in conjunction with the teacher-librarian for efficient use of library resources|
|· Generate and analyze administrative and statistical reports that reflect library holdings and activities and distribute to teacher-librarian and/or supervisor|
|· Generate overdue notices and distribute to classroom teachers|
|· Assist teacher-librarian in identifying resources to be purchased including following-up with Board staff and vendors to resolve any discrepancies|
|· Staff the circulation desk in the charging and discharging of resources|
|· Assist the teacher-librarian with collection maintenance|
|· Assist teacher-librarian with instructing, training and supervising library volunteers such as students, parents and supply teachers, in shelving and repairing resources|
|· Monitor the condition of library resources and repair as necessary|
|· Shelve resources as needed|
|· Provide technical and computer services at assigned schools||40%|
|· Search the integrated library system for bibliographic records in order to add new materials|
|· Report any discrepancies in bibliographic records to the supervisor|
|· Maintain accurate records for periodicals|
|· Conduct inventory on a timely basis|
|· Generate class barcode lists for circulation using the integrated library system and Excel|
|· In consultation with Supervisor and other ICT staff, assist with troubleshooting of hardware and software problems related to the integrated library system|
|Provide reference services at assigned schools||15%|
|· Research and prepare resources for staff as requested|
|· Provide instruction to students/staff using electronic resources, i.e. library catalogue, electronic databases and Internet|
|· In conjunction with the teacher-librarian, create reports and lists of resources related to themes being explored by teachers and students|
|· Respond to reference questions from students and staff|
|· Create timely educational displays of learning resources|
|· Other responsibilities, tasks and/or duties can be assigned.|
- Hours of the position are Monday to Friday from 8:00 am – 3:00 pm EST
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of 2 years of recent relevant office experience
- 2 years Diploma in Library and Information Technology from a recognized college/university
- Experience working in a fast-paced working environment.
- Proficient in the use of Board provided computer-based technologies to create, manipulate, store and retrieve information, and communicate with others
- Preferred experience in an educational setting
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Demonstrated knowledge of Canadian Subject Headings (CSH), Dewey Decimal System, Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules (AACR2R), Sears List of Subject Headings, and MARC bibliographic and authorities format an asset
- First Aid Certification an asset
- Knowledge in Accounting an asset
- Effective communication skills
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to multi-task effectively.
- High level of professionalism with and familiar with working with confidential information
- Proficient time management and organizational skills attributes.
- High-level customer service and people skills
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently while understanding the importance of engaging appropriate members of the senior team for awareness or guidance and/or escalating issues as appropriate
If you feel that you would be a great addition to the team, you can apply by either clicking the “Apply Now” button or by sending your resume to email@example.com, along with a concise explanation on why you would be a good fit!
Nexim Corporate Support Services, a division of NEXIM Group Canada is committed to building a diverse workforce reflective of the diversity of Canada. As a result, we promote employment equity and encourage candidates, especially those who identify as a woman, an Aboriginal person, a person with a disability or a member of a visible minority group, and any others who may contribute to the diversification of our workforce, to apply.
Nexim Corporate Support Services, Canada is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise your Nexim Recruitment Representative or your local Nexim Recruitment branch in a timely fashion of the accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
For all feedback on equity and accommodation needs, please contact your local Nexim Recruitment Canada Branch.